Dry Eye Treatment
Find relief from dry, itchy, irritated eyes.
Dry eyes affect millions of people in the United States. It is estimated that as many as 4.88 million Americans over the age of 50 suffer from this uncomfortable condition.
If you need help, book an appointment at Bright View Family Vision. We’ll help you find a treatment option that brings you the relief you’re searching for.
What are the common symptoms of dry eye?
Everyone experiences dry eye differently because there are so many potential underlying causes.
Typical symptoms include:
- Redness or eyes that appear irritated and bloodshot
- Consistent burning or stinging sensations in the eyes
- Eyes that feel itchy or as if they have something in them
- Increased sensitivity to bright lights or sunlight
- Excessive tearing, or eyes that always appear watery
- Fluctuating vision quality or clarity
- Worse vision quality later in the day or after near tasks or computer use
What causes dry eye?
There are many potential causes of dry eye.
In some cases, the cause is obvious, such as environmental irritants or short-term inflammation.
Some of the other causes of chronic dry eye problems include:
- Disease of the meibomian glands
- Defects that affect the eyelid or shape of the eye
- Certain medications
- Deficiency of aqueous fluids
- Systemic auto-immune conditions
- Thyroid conditions
- Environmental factors
Because the underlying causes vary, treatment methods after diagnosis will also vary according to the patient. It is also not uncommon for there to be more than one cause for dry eye.
How is dry eye diagnosed and treated?
Through carful examination of the ocular surface, tear film, and lids, and screening for certain conditions, we are able to diagnose and provide treatment for the condition.
Some of the typical treatments include:
- Prescription eye drops to combat inflammation and increase tear production
- Warm compresses and eyelid massage
- Low-dose oral antibiotics to reduce inflammation
- Oral omega-3 supplementation
- Blinking exercises or proper eyelid hygiene
Dry eyes are not only uncomfortable — they can also be bad for the health of your eyes. Book an appointment at Bright View Family Vision to find relief.